PJ8 Sint Maarten

PJ8 was active on UO-14 today. I worked them at 1547 UTC.

This is N1MEZ and W1CX's first ever satellite contacts. I talked with them on
the phone after the pass and they were like two kids in a candy shop! They
will be making a couple of changes in their setup. Right now they have the
Arrow antenna on a tripod on the balcony outside their room. All the radio
gear is inside to try and maintain a "low profile". During this pass, they
were aiming the antenna solely by time and compass. The have a headphone
spiltter with them, so I suggested that they hook it up and put the 70 cm
receive radio outside with the Arrow so they'd have visual (S meter) and
audible cues for alignment. The operator inside only needs a headset.
Hopefully this will help them be more effective.

They are also trying to work RS-15. Their problem is they can't hear their
downlink as they transmit. (same radio). My feeling was this wasn't a huge
problem because of the very light, if any traffic on RS-15. I set them up
with a frequency pair that will put them around 29.380. They will be
transmitting in CW, and not moving their uplink and then listening +/- 3Khz
or so of 29.380  They have heard W2RS on the bird, so we only hope they have
enough ERP to get into the bird.

RS-13 presents a bigger problem because they can't hear themselves. The
chances of them clobbering someone's QSO is much higher. I'm working on a
frequency pair for them. They will be on SSB on this bird.

We're also working on getting them on AO-10. They will try to run CW during
some perigee passes using their FM HT and Arrow as an uplink. Not pretty, but
I think they can do it. They are both accomplished CW ops. Because of
separate radios, they will be able to hear themselves, but are limited to 5
kHz steps on the uplink.

They have discover that there is some blockage from their balcony. They can't
see further west than 290 degrees so if you can load a "second observer" into
your tracking program you'll know when they will disappear due to the
"beaming into the building" effect :-}.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649