Clipperton Island Dxpedition update

i sent the following information to the operator on clipperton island that will be
handling the satellite contacts. he should have it tomorrow **IF** the pass
predictions make it to him and he is going to operate satellite.  i thought this
would be the quickest and easiest way to handle contacts.

as it stands now, they were 1 day late getting on the island due to bad
weather. if they operate satellite, it will be on the 6th or 7th only.

remember.... a two way contact is one where each operator hears and
repeats the other's callsign. now, there is no problem in anyone hearing
fo0aaa if they come up. so we know you heard him. now the trick is going to
be, how to maximize the number of possible contacts he can record in a
single pass of a leo.

they have no way to record your name, grid square, state, city or birthday,
so don't waste the time giving it and shortening the possibilities of others
making a rare contact. give only your callsign, i would recommend in
standard phoenitcs. that way he doesn't have to ask was the a 'b' or a 'v'.

this is what i proposed to them......

> I don't know the ability of the operator that will be handling the
satellite
> contacts but with a very small window, 8 minutes or so.
>
> SO-35 (only 1 pass on saturday 5th 1430-1444z and 1 pass on sunday 6th
> for south america 1333-1347z)
>
> AO-27 (only during daylight hours for north america)
>
> UO-14 (always on now).
>
> When the op has a chance ask people only for their callsign, nothing else, no
> name, no grid square, just callsign (everyone on an fm repeater is 59).
> Acknowledge each callsign he heard and go on. The problem is going to be that
> the big stations with 150watt linears, will overcome the fm
satellite.
> Unless the dx station has sufficient power, he may never have a chance to get
> back on the satellite. It should be possible in a 8-10 minute pass to
work
> about 100 stations as long as they are not giving their life history.
>
> AO-10 has longest time available for qso's but fm fading is a problem on
the
> old bird.
>
> When pass is north to south (descending)
> Since stations in the north will loose you first, I would recommend
working
> VE stations first, then northern states, then, midstates followed by
southern
> states last.
>
> When pass is south to north (ascending)
> Work the stations in the reverse order.
>
> It should be this way as that is the order that they will fall out of the
satellite
> footprint. I hope this will be helpful to you and if there is anything I
can do to
> help on the satellites, please let me know.

Houston, Texas                                or: kk5do@houston.rr.com
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on TVRONet GE-4, T16 Upper, 5.8Mhz