ISS Call sign RZ3DZR

Mir / ISS status report

March 3, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

The International Space Station gets an Amateur Radio Call sign.

The new International Space Station will be manned full time beginning
around September 2000.
Soon after the first crew moves in, they will install the Amateur Radio
antennas and transceivers.
In anticipation of the soon to be installed amateur radio station the
engineers at RSCE Energia
have already applied for an Amateur Radio club station call sign for the
International Space
Station.  A photocopy of the license was sent to the MAREX-NA team. The
new license allows for
the operation of homemade or commercial amateur radio equipment on board
the Russian modules of the ISS.
The new call sign appears be RZ3DZR.

I will post a JPG of the license to the MAREX-NA web page by the end of
next week (my scanner is down).

This new call sign will probably not be the last.  One of the radio
clubs was working on getting
a call sign from the United Nations.  I am not sure how far the UN call
sign project has progressed.

Third Party Traffic problems:
One of the problems with the outdated Amateur Radio laws in the USA is
our handling of
Third-Party-Traffic.  TPT means, can a non ham talk to a ham in another
country, while a
licensed control operator is present with the Non-ham.
In the USA we have agreements with many countries, including, Cuba, El
Salvador, Jordan,
Liberia, and Uruguay, just to name a few.  However, we do not have a
Third-Party Agreement
with Russia. The situation has not officially changed for the
International Space Station.
At the present time the ISS will be classified as a Russian Ship at sea
and therefor T
hird-part-traffic (including most schools schedules) will not be
allowed.
(Check the laws for your specific country)

Mir:
For the Mir space station one of the clubs got a temporary FCC TPT for
Mir.  But there was a
problem with the agreement.  The TPT agreement only covered American
Astronauts on Mir, the
Russian Cosmonauts were excluded from the TPT.  This exclusion caused
international stress
during Jerry Linenger school schedules with SAREX because the Russian
Mir crew members were
Not allowed to talk to the children during the SAREX  school schedules.
To ease the stress
caused by an incomplete Third-Party-Traffic agreement, the MAREX-NA team
ran a few school
schools with the Russian Mir crew members, with all students holding a
Valid Amateur Radio license.

Lets hope we can get a Third Party traffic agreement for ISS, which will
allow All ISS
member to participate with school schedules.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet,
nd World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but
not limited
to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without prior
written consent
from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are
considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without prior
permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F