Re: Compass corrections

In a message dated 02-Mar-00 20:21:11 Central Standard Time,
krandino@snet.net writes:

>  >> > From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
>  >> > Behalf Of Andrew N. Hardy
>  >> > Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 7:53 AM
>  >> > To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>  >> > Subject: [amsat-bb] Compass corrections
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >> > Hello everyone,
>  >> >
>  >> > Since the original post indicated the use of an Army-type compass
>  >> > (notoriously inaccurate most of the time)

I'm piggy backing here, as I have not found the original missive yet.

as a survivor of numerous land nav courses in 12 years in the US Army, as
well as having taught same to Boy Scouts a time or three...

The only major flaw that I can think of (beyond the obvious of having a large
chunk of metal such as a Jeep or a metal framed building near by) would be
the lack of awareness of magnetic variability...not all civilian maps would
show the compass rose with the variation on it, and if some one was to need a
true reading with out knowing to add or subtract the variation....then *any*
magnetic compass would be off.

By the same token, someone using a magnetic compass to cross check a GPS
bearing without compensating for the difference between magnetic and true
would also see their compass as off.

ck

--
Charles S. Krin, DO FAAFP