Re: look this dual band egg

Hello Ralph,
Hector, XE2EKY forwarded your posting to me.

I have done some casual testing of exactly the scenario you proposed:  using a 2 m Texas Potato Masher II, which is really an eggbeater variant/derivation designed to add directional gain to the fundamental eggbeater design (see either the TPM II at http://members.aol.com/k5oejerry/tpm2.htm or the Egg II at http://members.aol.com/k5oejerry/eggbeater2.htm) on both 2m and 70 cm.  Please note there was not a second antenna built inside the first, as I used the 2 m driven element as a common feedpoint.  I found the antenna was, as expected for an odd-wavelength design, resonant at 70 cm also.  What I noted, however, was the pattern was not nearly as directional as the TPM II, but did have some F/B (I did not attempt to measure it, but would estimate it over 3 dB--about 1/3 of the TPM II at it's design frequency).  Specifically, my setup was a dual-band mobile rig (FT-5100) operating AO-27.

What occured to me at the time was that if a second reflector, tuned for 70 cm, was added to the antenna, it was very likely to perform quite well, especially for a dual band rig that already had a built-in duplexer.  The interesting modeling options would be to see if a 1/2 wl reflector was effective or if a 3/2 wl reflector would be required (since the driven element is 3 wl at 70 cm).

I hope this is helpful and gives you some ideas for experimenting.  Please let me know how it all turns out.
73,
Jerry, UA3T/K5OE