Re: RS-15

In a message dated 3/2/00 11:44:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, ka0yos@AMSAT.Org
writes:

> What kind of ERP are people using on RS-15?  There was a real nice pass last
>  night and I could copy the beacon VERY well.  Anyway I think it was the
>  beacon (a doppler shifting carrier on/around 29.352 that was on for a
second
>  or so then off for about the same period).  I swished some CW on the
uplink,
>  but was never able to hear my downlink.

Hi Joe,

Sounds like you heard the beacon OK. It's been doing all sorts of funny
things lately. Also the transponder will sometimes toggle on/off during a
pass.

I usually can hear myself on CW with no more than 25 watts on the uplink.
With my antenna system that works out to be ~ 400 watts ERP circular. For
SSB, 50 watts is the minimum or ~ 800 watts ERP circular.

Changing polarization on the uplink can make a big difference. When I see the
beacon coming down at ~ S5 on peaks (as read off my FT-847 S meter) my SSB
signal will peak around S2. Hope this helps.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator