RE: Compass corrections

 Just to add a few things to the discussion.   Although I use a program I
found at NOAA to determine magnetic deviation (I have a copy of the program
at http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/pcgeom31.exe  ) , the most accurate
method is the method previously mentioned method of finding the time of local
noon,( either from astronomy or tracking programs, or from
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/AltAz.html  )  and observing the
shadows of a vertical pole at this time. There is also a somewhat less
accurate method using a common ham program.  The program is the great circle
program that you can find in a couple ARRL publications.  Just use it to find
the heading to 76.2 deg N  , 101 deg W  ,  This will usually be within a
couple degrees, which is good enough for anything but a dish.