Beginners questions

Hi Rick...

>>First, can I expect to work any of the FM birds, reasonably, with a 2 meter
vertical or dipole?  (same for 440)<<

Absolutely.  I've made contacts on three of the FM birds using an HT and
flexible whip--a long rubber duckie.  I've even made contacts
on SunSat with a 3db gain collinear vertical antenna from inside my steel
frame fireproof apartment building surrounded by other buildings.  I have
trouble using local repeaters with the same radio and antenna indoors.

The midmorning Saturday passes are nuts, but the majority of my operation has
been on those passes, and I seem to get one or more contacts on about 25
percent of the high angle passes.

Many people seem to be using Arrow hand held satellite antennas with their
HTs.  They seem to do very very well with them.

I'm an apartment dweller, so I really love the opportunity to do something
like "real" ham radio with my HT, instead of just working the local repeaters.

Hope this helps!

73,
Frank
WB2BXO