Re: Beginners questions

Hi Rick:

some basic tips

Zero gain antennas can work most birds, when they are close to the house
and
they are not heavily being used (your actual mileage will vary).
Your satellite time window with zero gain antennas will be limited.
I have worked Oscar-10 and Oscar-13 (RIP) with zero gain antennas,
but I did have to wait until the orbit and time was perfect.
FM birds are different, in that they are easier to hit, but they are
crowded.
Saturday pass at 12 noon you may need 1 megawatt ERP to access a FM bird
(slight eggzageration, slight).
However on a tuesday morning at 3 am you may only need 5 watts ERP to
work the same bird.

If you want to use the birds most of the time and not have to wait for
the perfect orbit/time
then you will want to go for a AZ/EL rotor with gain antennas > 10 dBd
(not dB).

Coax:
VHF/UHF keep it under 100!
Don't buy used or cheap coax or Kinking coax.

tips for Mir and FM birds in school section.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/index.htm

good Luck
Miles WF1F