Re: Heavy Use of Birds

on 3/1/00 5:15 AM, Tony Langdon at tlang@freeway.apana.org.au wrote:

> Might mean beefing up the next generation of amateur satellites, but it
> provides one possible (long term) upgrade path.  There needs to be more
> encouragement of SSB/CW operation as well, the linear birds are very quiet on
> this side of the world. :-(

For anything other than a single channel, FM is not practical for amateur
satellites.  The power budget requirements are just too strong and FM is not
efficient nor needed for it.  SSB is a far better solution and with
amplitude modulated carriers, you can listen to multiple stations at once.
There is no capture effect.

The FM birds are fine for some things.  But it would be a sad day if that's
all we have up there.  FM is just not practical.

I feel sorry for the guys who think the FM birds are the be all and do all
of the satellite experience.  There is so much more out there and you can
actually talk to people on the SSB birds.  The solution is not more FM
birds, but more SSB birds.

73,

Jon
KE9NA