Re: Heavy Use of Birds

on 2/29/00 5:39 PM, John K Peterson at kg5za@juno.com wrote:

> Why Exactly are you picking on No Code Techs?  After all Hams are Hams.
> Most of the world only requires 5wpm to meet the ITU requirement on HF,
> what happens on VHF is the responsibility of the individual licensing
> entity (country).  It doesn't make them any less a ham than anyone else.
> If there is a problem, perhaps what we need is more Elmers willing to
> teach the Newbes the proper way to  conduct themselves. Did you just
> volunteer?

This is so true.

In that vain, I must commend K1ZZ for his excellent editorial in the March
QST.  Mr. Sumner sums it up perfectly by saying it isn't the level of the
test that one has passed that makes the a good ham.  It is what they do
AFTER the test that makes all the difference.

Blaming no code techs for the UO-14 problems is like blaming an entire
ethnic group for terrorism performed by one small minority in that group.
And besides, we have NO evidence that any no code techs are involved in the
problem.

In fact, the station that QRM'd my QSO with W1AW was a W8 something - NOT a
no-code call!  If all the liddish behavior on our bands is the result of
no-code techs, then why is Mr. Hollingsworth going after a lot of EXTRA
class licensees?

73,

Jon
KE9NA