Mir Status Feb 29, 2000

Mir / ISS status report

February 29, 2000

By Miles Mann WF1F,

MIR Status:
The Russian Space Station is still on schedule for a new Mir crew
consists of
Cosmonauts Sergei Zaletin and Alexander Kaleri.  The tentative launch
date is
on March 31.  A new cargo module has docked with Mir, to help get Mir
ready for the next
Crew in April.

For those following Mir there is some very interesting News  reported by
MSNBC now running on their Web page at:

                 http://www.msnbc.com/news/317270.asp

Mir Amateur Radio Status:
I had a conversation with week with the engineers responsible for
training the
Mir crew on the Amateur Radio equipment for Mir.  The Kaleri and
Zalentin were
scheduled to be retrained on the Mir Amateur Radio equipment on February
28.
I was asked to provide suggestions for the Amateur Radio training.  I
suggested
the crew needs to be familiar with sending and receiving packet messages
and
with the SSTV operations.  In June 1998 I trained Alexander Kaleri in
SSTV
operations at Russian Mission control.  Kaleri is already a very
experienced
Amateur Radio operator.
I also explained the crew needs to be familiar with School Schedule
operations
because the MAREX-NA team is planning on running a few school schedule
with Mir
this year.
If all goes as planned the Mir Amateur Radio station may be reactivated
in April 2000
on 145.985 FM Simplex (Voice, Packet and SSTV).

SSTV:
In a few months the Mir Space Station may be activating the amateur
radio projects,
including the MAREX-NA SSTV project.
The International Space Station (Alpha) may also be installing a new
MAREX-NA SSTV
called SpaceCam1 system as early as Q4 2000.
Now is the time to start getting your satellite station  ready to
transmit and
receive Slow Scan Television signals.

I have provided a few web links, which can help you, get your satellite
station
ready to receive SSTV images.

Suggested Receiving Station for Satellite SSTV Images.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirSSTVStation.htm

MAREX-NA home page
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/index.htm

SSTV Repeaters:
The MAREX-NA team has posted some information regarding testing of the
new
SpaceCam1 SSTV software.
http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/RepeaterOperations.htm

ISS Launch Status:
The next module if the ISS is called the Service Module (Zvezda's).
This module is
tentatively scheduled to fly next June/July 2000.  If this launch is on
schedule,
then the First ISS crew with Sergei Krikalev U5MIR will fly to ISS in
August or September.

Mir QSL Update:
The card proofs have been sent to Energia/MAREX-RU for final approval.
A minor
typographical error was found  on the draft card by the Energia team and
we are
working on the correction. We hope to send the final card to the
printers in March 2000.
Note:  We are currently out of QSL cards for the Mir Amateur Radio
program.
The MAREX-NA team has designed a new Mir QSL card which is currently in
the
hands of the printer. I  would like to thank you all for being patient
on
getting your QSL cards.  We hope to begin shipping the new cards in Q1
2000.
The cards we are making are just for the Mir crew QSL cards, we are not
associated
with any of the special event QSL cards such as Sputnik.

The MAREX-NA web page has moved to a new location.
We will try to keep the page updated with the latest Mir and ISS
amateur radio experiments.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet,
and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but
not
limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior
written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station
Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed, without
prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F