SSTV on the birds

I was listening to the FO-20 downlink yesterday (28 Feb) and was surprised
to hear SSTV being transmitted in the upper end of the FO-20 passband.

I am probably dating myself, but I thought that heavy duty cycle
transmission formats such as RTTY, FM and SSTV were not to be used on
linear transponders.  Was this just an informal agreement back in the old
days of satellite operation???  Just wondering.

					73, Joe W2KJ (North Carolina)