Re: UO-14

> Might it help things if instead of having the "Big Gun/Little Gun" silly
> fights, we set aside a QRP evening as was done on UO-10 for many years?

Or, in the long run, we should make it part of the satellite operators
creedo that all satellite operations should be done with "QRP".

THe power to hit any given satellite is basically constant, +/- the range
difference from the horizon to overhead your QTH which is 10 dB plus maybe
a few dB of attitude variation.  This relatively constant power
requirement is completely foreign to the experience of most Hams coming
from the terrestrial experience where there is maybe 50 dB or more
variations in any given path depending on many many factors.  There, a
change in power helps.  In satellite work, it only "helps" you to step on
someone else.

As is done in all other satellite services, this minimum power should be
determined, published and all stations should use that power level.  This
should be part of the satellite operating creed, licensing and training.

Similarly, everyone on the ground gets an equal downlink +/- this same 10
dB.  Thus everyone gets an equal chance and also the opportunity to make
sure his station is working correctly.  There are too many guys
transmitting that dont even hear the satellite!  Amazing.  WHere have we
failed in operator education and training?

 The one exception to constant power, is in the case of un-intentional
uplink jamming from foreign countries that permit terrestrial operations
in the satellite bands.  Just raising our power to match is never going to
solve this problem.  These countries must be brought to task on the
international scale to resolve these violations.  If we all continued to
use our QRP signals and recorded or took the challenge to document and
track these illegal operations, this might be more useful in the long
term...

Just an opinion..

WB4APR, Bob