Re: fo-20 being jamed

Tony,

At 09:05 PM 02/28/2000 +1000, Tony Langdon wrote:
>While the FM
>satellites don't have to share their power among many stations, running
>excessive power makes it hard to tell if there are other stations
>accessing the
>bird, so for any satellite, the rule should be "use the minimum power
>necessary
>to establish reliable contact").

As always, and an FCC rule here in the states, an operator should ALWAYS
use the minimum power required to complete the QSO.

If *MANY* stations are trying to access an FM device at the same time, and
no signal is 3 dB stronger than the others, all you hear is a heterodyne as
each signal beats against the others.   Different rates of Doppler among
users will assure there is a difference in frequency to cause the
heterodyne.  Listen to some of the recordings some of the operators have
made here in the states, it becomes clear others are accessing the bird!  :-)

I'm not talking operating practices here, merely laws of physics.

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)