Re: Winning practices for the Easy Sats, (no whiners)

Another option to keeping transmissions short is to use a short APRS
beacon at the end of your voice transmission.  I am not advocating
everybody run out and do it, but it does solve many issues that have
been posted and opens more bandwidth for contacts.

1. The callsign is in the beacon.  If you missed what the person said it
     is now on your screen (TH-D7A, TM-D700, Palm Pilot connected
     to radio/TNC, Computer connected to radio/TNC, etc.)

2. Location and Grid Square could be in the beacon as well, and thus,
    no need to repeat that information either.

3. Even your email address could be include in a short packet burst
    to respond via e-mail after the satellite pass.

Increased efficiency = more contacts..

This may seem unlike the traditional contact, but there is nothing
traditional
with these FM birds.  With APRS you reduce the redundancy and simply
make a call and confirm you heard them.  The rest is data in your hand or
on the screen.  Then, there is no need for rambling to waste bandwidth
when you can see it in front of you.

Mixing data and voice communications seems to be another avenue to
open minds for future technologies.  The world just seems to keep
changing....

Just a thought....

73's

Tim - N8DEU