Re: UO-14 Telemetry

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Edson Pereira wrote:

> The idea is interesting, but what pratical use would be achieved by
> relaying the spacecraft's telemetry to APRS mobile terminals?

Well, the main thing is to open up the fun of participating with the
amateur satellites to hundreds if not thousands of new enthusiasts.
Right now, most satellite digital downlinks are visible only to those few
who are equipped with specialized equipment.  But these days, since the
Kenwood radios have 1200 and 9600 baud TNC's built in and can display some
packets directly on the front panel, it lets LOTS more hams experience the
fun of receiving a satellite without any special equipment or PC's.

WHether he is mobile or in his basement, I think he will find it just as
exciting...  Even now, just hook your THD7 HT to a laptop running APRStk
and it will auto tune the HT to any of the 7 satellites it can receive and
will capture the downlink or let you listen to the voices.  A fully
automated amateur satellite monitoring station for at least 7 satellites.
UO22, KO23, KO25, TO31, AO27, UO14, SO35, using only an HT and laptop and
19 inch whip antenna.

This has nothing really to do with APRS, other than recognizing that the
radios can display those packets directly...

de WB4APR, Bob

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> >
> > If you would consider putting the burst into one of the APRS formats, then
> > it could be captured and displayed on all the thousands of Kenwood HT's
> > and Mobile radios directly.  EIther of these woiuld work:
> >
> > TELEMETRY:  header:T#sss,111,222,333,444,555,10101010
> > STATUS:     header:>anything you want to put here (20 characters max)
> > BULLETIN:   header::BLN1UO-14:Any number of lines here, each with its
> >             header::BLN2UO-14:own unique BLN#
> >             header::BLN3UO-14:which is the 4th byte in the BULLETIN addr
> >
> > The telemetry packet is a "T#" followed by a 000 to 999 serial number and
> > then five 3-digit decimal analog values followed by a string of 8 on/off
> > status bits.  In this case, you can only send the 5 most important
> > telemetry values, but you can still send more detial in a non-aprs
> > formatted packet if needed.  But just this one gives a viewable summary
> > for anyone with an APRS HT or Mobile...
> >
> > The STATUS can only be one-per-callsign.  But you could use up to all 15
> > UO14-N SIID's
> >
> > de WB4APR, Bob

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html