Re: RS-15 question?

In a message dated 2/26/00 4:03:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, larrymm@tco.net
writes:

> Is rs-15 still active? I don't hear any beacons or sigs in passband. I've
>  been off 15 for 4 years so not up to date....tnx  Larry

Hi Larry,

Just checked RS-15 on the 02/26/00 ~0035 UTC pass over Vermont. The bird is
in a real funky mode. The Beacon is active, but it's an unmodulated carrier
that's on for 5 secs, than off for 2 secs. It continually repeats this cycle.
Now here's the fun part! The transponder is only active when the beacon is
on! So, you have 5 secs of time to talk then 2 secs off etc. I've seen it
behave this way before. Despite this funky mode, the downlink signals here
with the bird at 25 degrees el were excellent (for RS-15) S3 to S5!! I was
using 50 watts USB into a KLM 22C LHCP. I'll try and check it again next pass
and will be around .380.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649