Re: Restructuring: FCC Petitioned by Hams

on 2/26/00 3:05 PM, Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL at vlfiscus@mcn.net wrote:

>> Most of the ham community assumed that lower CW requirements would be
>> accompanied by a higher technical level on the written exam.  But BOTH CW
>> AND WRITTEN will be lower skill -- for ALL license classes.

The wording of the restructuring order specifically does state in effect
that the testing requirements shall be based on the rules or something like
that.  So, it could be taken that the FCC cares not about the fact that some
guy knows what a resonant circuit is.  Well, they probably don't.  If hams
follow the rules and the law that is laid out, that's all the FCC is
concerned about.

Frankly, I could give a rip if the guy I am talking to knows how to use a
soldering iron.  I would hope he does.

Frankly, I have mixed feelings about this.  I think I read somewhere that
back in the 50s, the tests were only based on the FCC rules as well.  All
the theory was introduced when incentive licensing came along.  I may be
incorrect, but I thought I read that.

Anyhow, in light of the multiple guess exam questions, who cares if theory
is there or not?  People memorize the question pool answers and 10 minutes
after they take the test, they couldn't tell you how to calculate the
resonant frequency of an LC circuit.  So does it benefit anyone?

I am sure that some will likely flame me for this, but oh well.......I don't
have to know how a car works in order to get a driver's license.  I just
have to know how to use it and how to follow the rules.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden