Re: Starting out on the cheap

 > Date:          Sat, 26 Feb 2000 08:54:25 -0600
 > From:          Mark Johns <mjohns@cfu.net>
 > To:            "amsat-bb@amsat.org" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
 > Subject:       Re: [amsat-bb] Starting out on the cheap

 > I would appreciate any ideas on how to get the 10 meter
 > signal, that seems to be the topic of this thread thus far,
 > up to 1269 MHz for Mode L.  My HF transceiver has a
 > transverter port, which the manual says delivers a signal of
 > about 30 mV.  I'd like to find and inexpensive way to take
 > that and wind up with 10 watts or so on 1269.  Any thoughts
 > out there?
 > --
 > Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
 >               http://pages.cfu.net/~mjohns/index.html
 >  "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would
 >     stay out and your dog would go in." -- Mark Twain

Dear Mark,

Your in the same boat as the rest of us!  There are a number of
ways to get on 1269.  How inexpensive they are depends on your
pocket book and technical expertise.  I've given the problem a
lot thought.  Here is what I have come up with:

Fastest way is to buy a 10M to 1269 transverter from Down East
Microwave.

Next best is to buy the transverter in kit form and build it yourself.
This requires some test gear (or a friend who has).

Personally I'm going to homebrew my own transverter.  At the rate
I build things it will take me a year to do it!  The hardest part will
be the L.O.  the low level amps will be Mini-Circuits ERA mmics.
The mixers will be from Mini-Circuits as well.  I have not decided
on the final design of the bandpass filters yet.

The PA amps will be the Mitsubishi hybrid amp modules.  Two
of them can take 10mW up to 17 watts.  I plan to install the two
stage PA amp at the antenna and run just a few mW up the feedline.
This way none of the expensive watts are lost in the coax.  The
coax loss can be made up with a $2.50 ERA mmic.

I'm sure others out there are working on the same problem.
I'd love to hear their comments and ideas.  Not a lot has been
discussed about this issue.  We are all going to need something
when P3D flies.

Till I get more junk built, see you on model B :-) !

--73-- Dave WA0AUQ