1691MHz on the Cheap?

Hi all-

Since we're doing the "on the cheap " thread, I have been helping a high
school science teacher with NOAA APT 137MHz weather pictures with some
success, using a modified Bearcat scanner.

Have wanted to try the GOES birds on 1691, but the converters are pricey.
Anyone got any ideas on a converter for another purpose that could be
modified?

Thanks and 73,
Doug AB8CJ