From: Edson Pereira [mailto:edson@sylvia.harvard.edu]
Sent: 25 February 2000 01:31
To: 'amsat-bb@amsat.org'
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] UO-14 10th birthday present

The last info I had about UO-14 (a.k.a. HealthSat-1), the main OBC
(onboard computer) was damaged, but there is a Z-80 OBC and it was still
functional. The Z-80 OBC is not powerful enough for store-and-forward BBS
applications, but it could be used for some light weight application.

Is the Z-80 OBC still working, Chris?

As a side note, UO-14 was owned by SatelLife Inc., a not-for-profit in
Boston. UO-14 delivered many thousands of critical medical information to
health professionals over 16 countries in Africa. It was replaced by
HealthSat-2, which is still operational.

It is nice to see the spacecraft back to the amateur satellite service
after many years.

73,

-- Edson, N1VTN

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Chris Jackson wrote:

> UO-14 was launched in January 1990 and spent its first 18 months in orbit
> operating as an amateur store and forward satellite prior to the launch of
> UO-22.  It was then switched for use by VITA (Volunteers In Technical
> Assistance) who used it for messaging into Africa.
>
> Since the computer which is used for store and forward communications is
no
> longer able to perform that task, UO-14 is no longer usable in this mode.
> It is however possible to use the satellite as a single channel FM voice
> repeater, and I have just configured the satellite to do this.
>
> The uplink is 145.975, and the downlink is 435.070.
>
> I will leave the satellite running in this mode for the next few weeks.
If