Re: RE: [aprssig] APRStk ver K04 posted

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

> Can the Kenwood TM-D700 operate some of the other digital satellites
> without an external TNC, with omni antennas, and just a computer
> attached?  If so, which ones... ?

Yes, there are 4 Sats you can receive about 16 times a day in your mobile
with a 20" whip on your vehicle.  UO22,KO23,KO25,TO31.  Here is a report I
got just this morning from N3TFM:

 "We tried  putting the  d700 in the jeep  for the  TO-31 pass this "
 "morning with a 20" whip and got at least 7 minutes of good decode!"

To see more about the concept for mobile satellite comms with these
radios (and you *don't* need a computer), See my WEB page:

 http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

By using no-track omni's at the PGates, we only need 4 to cover the whole
USA.  And since the D700 includes its posit in every packet, then the
PGates know when the satellite is "above your whip" and could forward your
traffic to you then.  The 20" whip works as a 1/4 wave on the 2m Uplink
and as a 3/4 wave on the 435 downlink with over 10 dB of relative gain.

Also, APRStk now includes satellite tracking so you can operate APRS
mobile or fixed and your radio will automatically QSY for a pass.
It also logs PACSAT Users, TELEMETRY and counts packets per minute..

de WB4APR, Bob

P.S.  TO31 is the strongest, so expect less from the others, but they
work. My station picks up TO31 at about 20 deg, and it takes 25 to 30 deg
for the others..  Yes, this is less than half the pass... but its "free".