Re: Re: [sarex] MIR

Hello Frank.

21 Feb 00 14:17, you wrote to Jon Ogden:

 FG> Also, the term "big antenna" is relative.  For those of us who live in
 FG>  apartments even a 15 meter dipole is "big" if we're restricted from
 FG> tossing wires out our windows.  I can manage it, barely, at my

Well, for me, "tossing wires out of a window" is almost pointless, due to the
very low elevation.

 FG> outside on the Coney Island boardwalk and work the Easy-Sats.  And I

True, I do much the same myself. :-)

 FG> may be able to take an FT-847 and Arrow outside too, if I can find a
 FG> way to power it without lugging around a
 FG> marine battery.  <s>  (Can an 847 run off a Power Station battery
 FG> pack?)

I have 2 portable SSB rigs (1 2m, 1 10m) and a 2m - 70cm transverter.  One more
transverter, and then add the 18Ah gell cell and lugging around SSB gear isn't
a problem for me.  In fact, with the addition of L and S band transverters,
that's how I plan to work P3D.

 FG> I've considered HF operation on the boardwalk too, but stretching
 FG> wires all over the place may piss off the local gendarmerie.  <s>

But a magnetic loop would be practical and quite effective.  One local here
worked Europe on 20 metres from a loop _inside_ his flat!  Only a couple dB
worse than a dipole on 20m and compact size isn't bad if you're stuck for
space.  I might build one for 80m and store it in the yard.

HF is not a dead loss for those with limited space, but it is more difficult.

 FG> They're easy to work but were they easy to design and build?  I
 FG> suspect the real contribution to "the radio art" was made by building
 FG> them.  And the prestige of those who do good ones is no doubt greatly

Indeed, the builders of these sats do an excellent job.

 FG> enhanced.  How many of us would ever have heard of the Electronic
 FG> Systems Laboratory at the University of Stelenbach in South Africa if
 FG> there was no SunSat?  (Great job, Johann!)

I wouldn't have, for starters.  Now, I'm quite familiar with it, and I second
the congratulations. :-)

Tony

.. The OFFICIAL tagline of the 1996 Olympics!