Re: Geostationary Satellites?

Jon Ogden wrote:

> on 2/20/00 12:19 AM, Frank Grossman at 71042.1303@compuserve.com wrote:
>
> > Somebody in this discussion commented that a network of geosync ham
> > transponders would make HF obsolete.  Isn't that the point?  HF is
> > obsolete.

 HF is not obsolete, nor will it ever be. Just like people say that the digital
modes are the way of the future, well that's just not the case. Read on a little
be and become "enlightened"...

> As the person who said that let me tell you something:  HF is NOT obsolete
> in any way, shape or form.  IMHO, anyone who thinks that has no clue of what
> HF operating is all about.  The remark was made somewhat tounge in cheek.
> HF is there because of the challenge.  And your comments about needing large
> antennas and lots of power is not accurate either.  Thousands of hams
> operate QRP all the time with 5 watts or less and talk all over the world.
> When conditions are good, you don't need much power.  And if you call 100
> watts that most rigs put out "a lot of power" how many 100 watt light bulbs
> do you use in your house?  HF may be obsolete or nearly so for commercial
> use.  But take a listen.  The aircraft industry still uses it.  There is
> still commercial radio telegraph.  When I was in South America, there were a
> TON of commercial outfits using frequencies right around 40 meters for
> commercial traffic.  The US is a special case in the world.  Many developing
> countries cannot afford the higher cost of satellite networks.

 This was something that I started thinking about too, right after I read that
post. I mean, there are so many third world countries where even a new HF rig is
out of the question, as it costs too much. Does everyone really think that all
Amateurs can afford the latest gear? I mean, yes, in the US most of us can. I
just spent over $2,500.00 last week alone. Just on "stuff" for Amateur Radio. Do
you know how much money that would be in say Zimbabwe? Or should I say how long
that it would take you to earn that much... But in many countries, an old
(possibly QRP), CW rig is all some have. How many can buy a new satellite rig?
How about the space communication antennas? Or the rotator? Oh, let's not forget
the computer with tracking and logging programs... How many rare countries use
the satellites now? Or the digital modes? They can't afford computers. Besides,
you can't hook up a computer to a battery, at least not without a transverter,
which are not cheap either.

 Another thing, sure the satellites will add up your country count quick, but
for the rare third world countries, for the reasons stated above, if you want
them, you'll have to work them on HF. So it'll never be "obsolete". If it was,
the military and many commercial institutions would be using satellites
exclusively. Sure, I agree that space communications are the way of the future,
for a lot if not most of Amateur Radio's contacts, whenever geostationary
satellites become commonplace. But HF will always be needed to snag a rare one,
maybe an A5 or so...

> So, HF is NOT obsolete in any way, shape or form.

 And it NEVER will be Jon!

> 73,
>
> Jon
> KE9NA

> Jon Ogden
> KE9NA
>
> Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA
>
> http://www.qsl.net/ke9na

 73, Clinton Herbert AB7RG

 "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." --
John F. Kennedy