From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Laura Halliday
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2000 10:00 PM
To: MarkG
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: [sarex] MIR

MarkG wrote:

> Amen! Move exclusively to digital and microwaves so you only need a little
> dish and $5000 in equipment and I'll find another hobby without so much as
> second thought...

Where did you get that number?

While it costs money to get on any mode, a basic but serviceable
L/S station shouldn't cost more than a tenth of that.

Sadly, the notion that high-tech == high-cost remains as wide-
spread in AMSAT as in other areas of ham radio. Makes me
wonder how manufacturers can roll out high-tech equipment
like portable digital phones, charge the pittance they do,
and manage to make any money...
--
Laura Halliday VA3LDH    "Laisse le vent tout emporter..."
Grid: FN03gs                - Foly/Viennet