Re: Re: [sarex] MIR

on 2/18/00 8:07 PM, Clifford Buttschardt at cbuttsch@slonet.org wrote:

> Mike your way off base on this!  Mode A was defunct years ago.

Cliff, YOU are the one who is off base.

Mode A is quite popular as RS-13 has plenty of traffic on it.  I can call a
CQ just about every pass and get a response.

> Mode J is
> just barely surviving.

Oh really?  Right now we have 4 SSB capable birds up there: RS-13, FO-20,
FO-29 and AO-10.  OK, throw in RS-15 and you have 5 birds.

Of those  5, 2 are mode A birds, 2 are Mode J birds.  ONE, ONE, ONE is mode
B!

I've spent many AO-10 passes calling CQ till I was blue in the face.
Signals were good and steady and the bird was over places like Europe.  I
would call CQ DX till I was hoarse.  Nothing but silence.  I was the ONLY
guy on the bird.

Yet, I get far more QSOs on the mode J birds.  The reason these modes are
"dead" as you called them are because people just don't know about them.
Most hams see the amateur satellite mode of operation as a dead end.  These
see the failures of things like the recent JAWSAT launch where we launched 4
satellites that were ham capable and had zero survive; they see P3D sitting
on the ground for years, they hear of other failures and they say, "WHY
BOTHER?"  Why should most hams put money into a ground station when we can't
even successfully launch birds that stay working??  I might be stepping on
political toes here but that's the truth.  To go 0 for 4 on the Jawsat
launch is bad press.  Surely there is something amiss with the way we build
our birds.

 >Dave is stating what we have known for years, that
> is that the simplistic approach to satellites simply will not work!!

Oh yeah, probably the simplest bird to work is AO-27.  Last time I checked
it was CHOCK full of users.  And I hear SO-35 is easy too.  And it has
plenty of users.

And calling the LEO birds the "Easy Sats" is really quite a misnomer.  I
find them FAR more challenging than AO-10.  And P3D will REALLY be an easy
bird.  It doesn't take much to put up big antennas get a good amp and point
the antenna at AO-10.  There is little worry about doppler shift, tracking,
etc.  On the LEOs though, one must know how to track the bird as it moves
across the sky, how to tune for doppler, etc.  The LEOs require MUCH more
operating skill than AO-10.

73,

Jon
KE9NA