Re: Geostationary Satellites?

on 2/17/00 9:34 PM, Frank Grossman at 71042.1303@compuserve.com wrote:

> A friend on a local repeater asked me an interesting question the other day.
> Why are there no "geostationary" amateur satellites?  Are any in the works?

Perhaps someday there will be.  But it will take 3 or 4 of them in a
constellation around the earth to get worldwide coverage.  Now if we could
have that and have them all linked together, we could instantly talk
anywhere on the planet.  It would make HF obsolete all together.

But the cost for 3 or 4 geosynchs would by very high.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden