Re: Geostationary Satellites?

Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:34:48 -0500
From:           	Frank Grossman <71042.1303@compuserve.com>
Subject:        	[amsat-bb] Geostationary Satellites?
To:             	amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

> Hi Gang...
>
> A friend on a local repeater asked me an interesting question the other day.
> Why are there no "geostationary" amateur satellites?  Are any in the works?

sort of a rather simple question to answer.

if there were, then who would benefit from the satellite? those in the
americas? or those in a part of europe? whichever area it is will have to foot
the bill for the construction and launch of the satellite because they are the
ones to benefit from its use. they would also have to have a way to keep it
parked in that spot.

look at all the trials and tribulations we have gone through to make-ready p3d
and get it launched. now, could amsat-na support this type of venture? maybe
some day but don't think so now.

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                or: kk5do@houston.rr.com
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on TVRONet GE-4, T16 Upper, 5.8Mhz