XTAL Xcvr Modules

For satellite work, we need some 2m and 70cm XMIT/RCV modules that are
XTAL controlled.  The MFR we were planning on using  has gone
"synthesized with a PIC controller".  This is unsatisfactory for an
on-orbit command receiver/xmtr.   One SEU and you loose them.

We want small surface mount 1/2 watt or more XMTR and companion receiver
with XTAL control and no CPUs.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I Looked inside the MAXON modules and they appear to be nothing but the
guts from a consumer grade  walkie-talkie of 20 year ago discrete
component construction.  TEKK radios will probably do for the UHF, but
they dont make a VHF module...

THanks for any ideas...

Bob, WB4APR