Re: AO-10 QRP(!)

on 2/14/00 10:54 PM, John Mock at kd6pag@qsl.net wrote:

> I was about to listen for STENSAT (or JAWSAT), and noticed an especially
> nearby AO-10 pass.  Worked VE6EGN and VE7VVW, and the downlink was so
> strong we had to turn the power down...  VE6EGN and i ended worked AO-10
> with each running about 4W SSB!  (And in my case, this using an antenna
> similar to an Arrow.)  Sure, we have the usual fades, but it sure was
> alot of fun.

On a low pass of AO-10, near perigee, you don't need much.  I have worked
guys with my FT-847 turned all the way down, which I think is 2 watts.  Yes,
I do have big antennas but they are after a 60 foot run of 9913, so figure
my power at the antenna was more likely a watt or so!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden