Re: Contacts on AO-10

John,

At 08:08 PM 02/13/2000 -0700, John Boudreau wrote:

>The interesting part about all this is that I could not detect deep fading
>of the received signal other than that associated with the loss of power
>when the sun falls on the end of the spacecraft.  Given the above, the
>satellite must be using the *omni* antennas rather than the high gain
>antennas as was previously believed.  If the high gain antennas were in
>use there should be much more deep and regular fading of the signal as the
>satellite rolls/tumbles on its axis.
>Comments?

As a long time "watcher," user of AO-10, I can say one thing with absolute
certainty:

You can't predict behavior of AO-10.  Just when you think you have it
figured out, it changes again.  In fact I've found it is variable from
day-to-day.  If you DON'T hear the bird when you first come up on
frequency, wait a few minutes, it WILL change.

I'm not sure it is using the omni antenna.  I still think it is using the
gain antennas, based on OTHER times I've observed, and had to switch
polarity every few seconds, as the antennas seemed to wobble in a conical
pattern.

I think there is a dynamic at work which will perpetually defy
analysis.  That is the bird has more than one tumble period.  This compound
tumbling only serves to confound the operator, but still present a
wonderful opportunity for the weak signal operator to work the world on an
aging artifact of the amateur satellite community.

73, Mike

                                        __\/__
  |  P  | |f|   * I.S. Professional .............. Computer Consultant *
  |  3  |=|d|   * AO10, AO27, Fujis, RS13, RS15, MIR?, SO35, UO22, ATV *
  |  D  | |j|   * KITSAT,  kf4fdj-9 van tracker, SSTV, MS,  E&F Layers *
  |     | | |   *    Bringing Oscar demos to the Lee County Schools.   *
                                   .oooO   (   )
                                     \_)