From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of John Boudreau
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 10:08 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Contacts on AO-10

Of further interest on this thread, after listening to the transponder and
beacon for the last couple of nights I have noticed the following:

1) Immediately prior to a fade, the AO-10 transponder (and the beacon) will
first drop in frequency by 30-40 Hz, then drop off rapidly as the power runs
out.  The first and the second drops occur over the space of two or three
seconds.
2) When the fade ends the transponder and beacon frequencies quickly
stabilize at their original positions.
3) The received signal strength is very steady until the frequency drops and
returns to its pre-fade level as soon as the power comes back on.
4) These observations were the same at near perigee and to about half way
out (at my LOS)

The interesting part about all this is that I could not detect deep fading
of the received signal other than that associated with the loss of power
when the sun falls on the end of the spacecraft.  Given the above, the
satellite must be using the *omni* antennas rather than the high gain
antennas as was previously believed.  If the high gain antennas were in use
there should be much more deep and regular fading of the signal as the
satellite rolls/tumbles on its axis.
Comments?

John - VE8EV