AO-10 Contact

Hi all.  I wanted to share with you an exciting contact I had today (the xyl
just doesn't get excited about these things).  In between the SO-35 and AO-27
pass, I took my new toy, a Yaesu VR-500 hand-held receiver, out in the back
yard and listened to AO-10 near a perigee pass.  I was using an Arrow Antenna
for the downlink.  Signals were 54 - 58 at 18,000 km.  Stations heard include
KB4SVP, N7XX, W1BFN, and KE9NA.

Following up on a suggestion the other day from Mike KF4FDJ, I thought I
might try to make a portable contact.  I went in and got my FT-5100 dual-band
mobile FM rig and a battery pack.  I have made several contacts on RS-13 in
the last week using 2 m FM as quasi-CW, so what the heck...

Now, these mobile rigs only have 5 kHz tuning, so finding my downlink was the
first challenge.  Once found, I called CQ around 145.892 (435.110 uplink) for
about 15 minutes with no takers (it did sound pretty lousy--about 533).  Then
while tuning around and listening to the USB chatter, I heard George W1ME
signing off with KB4SVP... and using a PJ7 prefix!  He said he was going to
go fishing now.  I knew I only had one chance.  I quickly changed my uplink
to 435.100 and called W1ME several times by keying the PTT on the FM rig (35
W output into the Arrow).  I was off frequency by about 1.5 kHz. I had a
crappy sounding signal.  I was not even very strong.  But he heard me,
recognized my call, and returned!  It was EXHILERATING!  I was so excited.
It took me so long to calm down I missed the first 3 minutes of the AO-27
pass :-))

Anyway, to make it short, a receiver smaller than a deck of cards, a
run-of-the-mill dual-band FM mobile, a hand held antenna, and a new country.
Like they say, I'd rather be lucky than good.
73,
Jerry, K5OE