Satellite Tracking to Alaska (day 1)

The ALASKA Road Rallye is underway.  Nothing heard so far via AO27,
but there is one more LOW pass for stations in Washington state and in
Anchorage... at 2040 UTC..

> Steve Willey, KD7GXO and Eric Horst, KA7OBN requested APRS assistance in
> tracking their vehicle starting Friday from Seattle to north of the Arctic
> circle, Prudoe Bay while participating in the ALCAN2000 Alaska Rally from
> 11 to 19 Feb. <snip>
>
> ... listen for them (and/or their packets) during the daytime AO27
> passes from the 11th to the 19th.  Particularly, the Western passes.
> <snip>
>
> The downlink of AO27 starts on 436.805 at the beginning of the pass and
> moves down to 436.785 by the end.  A BEAM is required.  These will be
> standard 1200 baud AX.25 FM packets.  We hope this test will give us
> useful data on the viability of wilderness communications via amateur
> satellite.  To learn more, see:
>
>              http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html
>
> Here are some estimated pass times for the first 5 days:
>
> DATE  PST  UTC  Comments
> ----  ---- ---- --------
> 11th  0930 1730
>       1105 1905 Best (further from the USA)
>       1240 2040

> 12th  1045 1845
>       1220 2020 Best (Further from the USA)
>
> 13th  1015 1815
>       1155 1955 Best (Further from teh USA)
>
> 14th  0950 1750
>       1125 1925 Best Seattle users beam NW
>
> 15th  1058 1858 Best (half way between Fairbanks and Seattle)
>       1235 2035      Seattle users beam NW
>
> The western passes of the two are generally better, since they will have
> fewer USA stations on the bird at the same time.  Towards the 15th, then I
> selected passes over alaska and so Seattle users should just park their
> beams toward the NW and only concentrate on listening to those western
> passes...
>
> de WB4APR, Bob

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html