Re: Inexpensive 436 FM receiver?

on 2/7/00 5:26 PM, RogerKola@aol.com at RogerKola@aol.com wrote:

> A while ago there was a discussion concerning the conversion of an
> inexpensive (cheap) portable handi-talkie for reception of the 436 down links
> of the FM sats...
>
> I think it was in reference to 9600 baud conversion..
>
> well I am in need of an inexpensive receiver for this band and am willing to
> modify a rig to do it.....I don't think I am interested in using a "scanner"
> type radio because they tend not to be too sensitive...and 9600 baud isn't
> necessary at this time...
>
> I would appreciate any input or ideas...
>
> If you are not comfortable recommending a particular radio on the BB please
> email me direct @    Rogerkola@aol.com

The Radio Shack HTX-404 can be bought used for about $100.  It can be
modified very easily (via a button combo) to transmit and receive all the
way down to 430 MHz.  It is also a radio you can work on as it is a much
bigger size than the mini-HT's of today.  It seems to have a good RX as
well.

Have fun!

73,

Jon