Re: PTFE insulation

On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 08:13:21 +1100, williamb@netc.net.au (William B Magnusson) wrote:

> Interesting thread. I think it began in regard to wiring in a SYMEK unit.
> About the only advantage I've ever seen in teflon insulation is that it can
> withstand LOTS of heat (as in soldering) before it loses its characteristics.
> Sometimes that can be a crutial factor. This could be important when running
> short lengths point to point inside a radio.

DuPont claims a temperature range of about 450 degrees F as do the other
manufacturers of polytetraflouoethylene (PTFE) aka Teflon (tm), except for
W.L. Gore who claims 600 degrees F with their industrial line of PTFE
products. Most literature also warns of the toxic gas emitted by PTFE at
temps above 500 degrees..... be careful...

Jeff

               --        Deputy Jeff Johns - W4JEF        --
               --  Jefferson County Sheriff's Department  --
               --         Birmingham, Alabama USA         --
               --         Email: jeffj@hiwaay.net         --
               --   Address all complaints to /dev/null   --