Re: Help FT-847 and HEIL ...

on 2/6/00 1:59 PM, John Zaruba Jr at jzaruba@snip.net wrote:

> I have the same equipment and the same problem. It appears to be a
> design problem with the radio. Sorry I can't give you better news.

OK,  Let's put this out on the table so everyone will know:

The FT-847 as shipped from the factory is designed to work into a 32 Ohm
impedance.  Most headphones are 8 Ohms.

According to Mike Kruegger at Yaesu (he is the service manager) here is what
you do to fix this:

1.) Remove the front panel of the radio.
2.) On the back of the front panel assembly, you will notice the board that
contains the headphone jack.  If you can figure out a way to do it, remove
it (I could not figure out how to remove it).
3.) On that board are 2 chip resistors and 2 leaded resistors.  The two chip
resistors are R8503 and R8504.  On some units, they are painted red.  REMOVE
them.
4.) Reassemble radio.  That's it!

That's all you have to do.  In fact R8503 and R8504 are not even on the
schematic provided with the radio!

73,

Jon
KE9NA