FT-847 and 9600 Baud Packet

OK,

I am stumped!  This isn't directly a satellite question, but since I am
going to likely be using this setup on the 9600 birds some time, I ask this
here.

I just got a 9600 baud packet modem and set it up to use with my FT-847.  I
set the packet speed on menu 23 to 9600.  However, I couldn't connect to
ANYTHING except my TH-D7A 9600 baud HT but even that was difficult.

Originally I was on UHF and then I changed band from 432 to 2M and I was
able to connect easily to my local DX cluster.  I remembered that the packet
rate setting was different for each band.  I had never changed the setting
on 2M to 9600 baud.  So I went in and changed it.  I couldn't connect to the
cluster.  Changing back to 1200 baud connected me.

I went back to my 432 frequencies and changed the packet speed setting in
the radio to 1200.  It worked fine.  I was able to connect to a local node
w/o a problem.

So what gives?  Why does setting the packet speed setting inside the radio
to 9600 baud not work?  Note, I am not changing ANYTHING with the speed of
the modem.

Help??

73,

Jon