Terminal Emulators

Some time ago I recall that we had a discussion about these.  I have
recently had an enquiry from some one who needs a terminal program to
run under Windows 95/8. At the time two programs were suggested
EASYCOMM and ICOMTR.

I have tried to find EASYCOMM, but the URL which was suggested ie.
www.shareware.com, doesn't work.  Searching the web has come up with
a lot of references, but no software!  There are a lot of references
to WISP, but I can't find the actual program.  Is it incorporated inside WISP?

I've downloaded ICOMTR, but that appears to need an ICOM receiver to
be attached to the port before it will work.

What I need is something which will display the ASCII characters on a
serial line with a minimal hardware configuration, ie. just RXD & GND
connected to the port.  Must work with Win98.

The TERMINAL program in Win3.1 works OK, but isn't included in Win98
(not sure about Win95)

At the time of the original discussion someone also suggested writing
a simple program in QBASIC, but this appears to have been dropped in
Win98.  Does VISUAL BASIC contain suitable commands for easy access
to the COM port? Or do I need Visual C?

Any help will be much appreciated.

--
73