Re: PacSats with the Kenwood TH-D7 (A/E)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Luis Martins wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has managed to work the pacsats with the
> Kenwood TH-D7 (A/E).
> Acording to the specs it should be a nice little rig to work the 9600
> baud satelites.

As has been noted here several times before, you can only receive the
downlink.  It works great as a downlink monitor only station.  You cannot
uplink because the internal TNC is not wired for cross band DATA...  YOu
can either TRANSMIT or RECEIVE, but not both.  ANd with the PACSAT
protocol, there is no value to transmit-only.

BUT, the new kenwood mobile TMD700 does allow cross band TNC operation
though no one yet has reported using it with the PACSAT PROTOCL
successfully...

FOr where I think we could take advantage of these radios for mobile
satellite operations, see:

 http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

de WB4APR, Bob