Re: Transverters with *70cm* IF's

Paul,
I have been searching for this very answer for months--without coming to any easy answer. I suspect mode U/S will be very popular initially, allowing all the mode B (U/V) stations to use their current setup with just a mode-S downconverter to 2 meters (like me and hundreds of others).  But getting the 23 cm uplink is the obvious next step.  Here's what I have found out with my casual research:
1) The "older" modular rigs like the FT-736 and TS-790 may have had the right idea with plug-in modules (23 cm available for both of these).  Maybe Yaesu will add an expansion slot to the FT-947 when they get around to building it :-))
2) MML made a 70-23 cm "trippler" years ago but they are very hard to find.  I have had an ad on QTH.com for 2 months looking for one!  No responses.  MML's UK office was of no help in locating one.
3) a simple varacter trippler circuit (sometimes used for 23 cm ATV) will work for CW, but will not be suitable for SSB.
4) Mike, W1BFN, is working on an inexpensive transmitter project just for this application.  I will leave it up to him to announce when he is ready.  This looks like the best option for many of us.
73,
Jerry, K5OE