OPAL HEARD!!!!

Greetings!

On the pass of Opal that just finished here in Chicago (I'll call it the
23:50 UTC pass), I heard OPAL loud and clear.  The 9600 baud packet bursts
were coming in as expected about every 10 seconds.  I don't have a 9600 baud
TNC hooked up to my FT-847 yet, so I couldn't decode anything.

But signals were STRONG.  At one point, I saw an S-7 signal on the meter.

My antenna is a KLM 435-40CX.  I have no mast mounted preamp.  I do have a
preamp on my RF Concepts brick and in the rig though.

I listened for Weber-2 on 437.07 and 437.175 after confirming OPAL.  Didn't
hear anything.  The squelch opened a couple of times on 437.07, but no
signal on the S-meter.  And it is still occasionally opening now and the
bird is long over the horizon.  So I don't think I heard it.

Is Weber-2's beacon an FSK burst or is it CW?  I was in FM mode and perhaps
that's why I missed it.

Anyhow, OPAL sounds great.

73,

Jon