Re: Portable Fuji Bird Operation

In a message dated 1/29/00 2:38:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
solitsky@acsu.buffalo.edu writes:

> Is anyone successfully operating FO-20 completely portable?  I just picked
>  up an IC-402 and put the satellite sub-band crystal in it and heard the
bird
>  well without a preamp and just my arrow antenna.  I am wondering if anyone
>  has tried getting into the bird with the companion IC-202 or another
battery
>  powered SSB rig?

Funny you should ask... I just got on the FO birds for the first time last
week using my Arrow mounted on a camera tripod inside the house.  I had tried
prior to that, but holding the arrow and adjusting for Doppler on an
inverting transponder is just a little too much for me.  Using the tripod
also allowed me to get it far enough away from me that I could use the full
50 watts on the uplink although the first few contacts were made with an
externally mounted a J-pole for the uplink.  I have been using a $15
Vectronics kit preamp for the downlink and find it helps a lot, at least
indoors.

I also worked a few stations the other night with this setup on AO10.  Now
that was a bit of a challenge with no preamp on the 2-meter side but the bird
was only at 8,000 km at the time.  Before I was able to do it, I had to go
around the house shutting off all the birdie-producing stuff including my
computers.  Then I had to run on the portable computer every once in a while
to figure out which way to point the antenna.

Lee Devlin, KØLEE  (K0LEE)
Greeley, CO
http://members.aol.com/lee810/ham.html