RE: Helix Match

Hi Jean-Louis and gang,
The construction with four helical antennas is rather critical in practice.
One of the members of AMSAT-OZ, OZ1AED, has made the construction for both
23 cm and 13 cm.
The 23 cm array performed OK after some adjustments. The "tapered line"
arrangement can be used for adjustment - but one must make sure that all
four lines are equal. He did the mechanics and I made the final adjustments
using a HP Network Analyser.
We never got the 13 cm (2,4 GHz) array to perform good enough. The SWR
was very difficult to get low.
I think that the equations you can find for the impedance of the tapered lines are not
too good. Unfortunately I have not had the time to investigate that in a proper way.
Our Swedish fellow amateurs also have investigated the 4 helix arrangement - again at
2,4 GHz with the same problems - and also the gain was far below the expected value.
My own antennas for 2,4 GHz are two 16 turn helix antennas a la G3RUH combined
at 50 ohm level. Stacked about 2 wavelength apart vertically. That workes OK.
73 de OZ1MY/Ib