Re: It can be done..

Frank A Cahoy wrote:

> Greetings to all,
>
> I have had this hope of one day working a European station via RS-12/13.
> I'm much too far west in the U.S. to have an actual window.  This was my
> lucky day (Jan. 26, 2000).  I had the day off and was listening to the
> 1800 UTC pass of RS-13 and found quite a number of DX stations within the
> 10 m. down link.  I continued to listen after LOS at my QTH (DN-81).  The
> beacon continued to be quite readeable but at about three minutes past
> LOS there was a sudden, very strong peak in signal from the beacon.  I
> called a CW CQ  RS-13 on 21.265 and I was answered by OK1DIG.  His signal
> was quite readeable when I first heard his return call.  However, it
> faded fast as the bird slipped toward Eastern Europe. I copied his grid
> locator as JO-60xp which looks legit for the Czech Republic.

Congratulations!
However, not wishing to spoil Frank joy, and not making any DIRECT
comment to this particular QSO, let me ad a note.
What was the other station uplink?
   A- If it was on 2m, no doubt it was a REAL sat qso?
   B- If it was on 15m, did you check HOW was propagation on 15m???
         A-If it was "closed", it was probable a SAT qso.
         B-If it was "open", it could have been a SAT qso,
           but it also could have been a FAKE.
	   The other station could have just listened your uplink!

I repeat, this is not a DIRECT comment to the stations involved on
this particular QSO. However I want to warn you this is a common
pratice among some "stations"! Keep that in mind!

Best 73
F.Costa, CT1EAT