Re: Dead G-5400B

At 10:06 AM 1/23/2000 -0800, kb5mu wrote:

>Unfortunately, many rotor controller designs share these defects. Either
>nobody sees this as a problem, or nobody wants to spend the additional few
>cents it would cost to add a hardware timeout to protect the motors.

Some time ago I looked at the schematics of the various Kenpro and Yaesu
satellite rotators and made up the table below. Maybe it will help someone,
like a flea market shopper.

My next installation will use the G5600B which has limit switches on both
rotators. I bought it some years ago. I don't think it is available which
is a shame.

I might add that the unitrac controller (www.qsl.net/zl2amd/) does have
some protection built into the controller hardware. I am not sure whether
it entirely protects when the computer crashes. Maybe Dave will respond to
the bb.
======================================
Limit Switches and/or Thermal Cutouts:

KR-5400   No limit switches or thermal cutouts on Az or El
KR-5400A  Thermal on both Az and El
KR-5600A  Limit on AZ, Thermal on El
KR-5400B  Thermal on Az, Limit on El
KR-5600B  Limit on both Az and El
G-5400B   Thermal on Az, limit on El
G-5600B   Limit on both Az and El
KR-400    No limit switches or thermal cutout shown.
           But the manual states "mechanical end of rotation stops".
KR-500    No limit switches or thermal cutout shown.
           No statement in manual either.
G-500A    No limit switches or thermal cutout shown

KR-400RC  No limit switches or thermal cutout shown