Re: Dead G-5400B

The KR-5600 had end of travel limit switches but only on the AZ rotor.  The
EL rotor still had the thermal cutout switch.  I still have one in the
basement that lasted for 9-10 years when I took it down.  I don't know why
all rotors do not have end of travel limit switches.  The Emoto EV800DX
does on both the AZ and EL but it is an expensive unit.  I don't know about
the M2 unit.  I think the KCT DOS driver has a timeout after which things
are turned off, but only if the PC is still up and running.  I don't know
about the Windows drivers.

The KR-5400 (now the G-5400) had thermal cutout switches on both rotors.
It would seem to me that thermal cutout switches if designed to protect the
motor, would do just that.  The KR-5400 unit had the KR400 and KR500
rotors.  The AZ rotor, KR400, had the two motor windings on terminals 4 &
5.  The common return for both windings was on both terminals 6 & 7.  If
you used terminal 6, then you had the thermal switch in series with it.  IF
you used terminal 7, then you had bypassed the thermal switch and had no
protection at all.  The same thing is true with the EL rotor, KR500.
Terminal 6 had the protection, and terminal 7 did not.  I don't know if
this is still true with the G5400 rotors or not, but perhaps someone can
verify this.  If this is still true and by some chance terminal 7 was used
instead of terminal 6, then certainly the rotor motor will be damaged.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org