Re: Bounce your signal off Mir (passive satellite)

Miles and All,

    Actually this concept is not far fetched at all. I seem to recall
amateurs using the ECHO satellites for communication back when these
satellites were up. WA1TFH and I (He's now W1OR) used to work each other on
1296 SSB using a large water tank as a reflector. We could do the direct
path, but bouncing off the water tank gave stronger signals. Another thing I
used to do was to use an oscilloscope along with full QSK on 15 meters to
determine just what the skip zones were by sending a string of dits,
swinging the beam, and looking for echos. The time told where the strongest
skip zones were and the beam heading gave the direction. I never did enough
research to determine whether these reflections were from buildings in
cities or mountain ranges. I would guess that they were mountains rather
than buildings, but that's another story. I seem to recall W1JR giving a
talk on airplane bounce on 432 also.

    Reflections, they're not just from the moon and meteors anymore, they're
what's for dinner!  :>)

    Jerry, K0TV