Re: DISH and Direct TV unit questions

Not too familiar with the Direct TV unit even though there are many available
for free for the asking including the dish.  I am certain they are also 950
to 1450 MHZ receive. I have had good luck using the C-band unit such as the
drake 1240A to receive 903, and 1270 FM ATV. Wal Mart sells a very good
inline preamp for that range for $15 made by RCA, and it can be mounted at
the receive antenna with a dc blocking capacitor on the antenna side. The
receiver already supplies the 17 volts needed. The 70MHZ IF has to be
narrowed somewhat for good video. AM can also be received by using channel 3,
( 67.25 mhz )directly from the 70mhz out on the tuner.  SSB and CW would be
difficult using an IF receiver because of osc drift. Maybe it is possible to
lock the osc in using PLL  circuitry?